China-based Australian Josh Burdon is set to make his 24 Hours of Spa and Nurburgring 24 hours debut as part of an expanded international GT racing programme in 2019.
Hong Kong based KC Motorgroup Ltd. (KCMG), who represented Nissan NISMO at the last weekends Bathurst 12 Hour, has announced Burdon has been selected as part of their driver line-up that will contest not only the remaining rounds of the Intercontinental GT Challenge but also the opening rounds of Germany’s VLN Endurance Championship as preparation for the famed Nurburgring 24 hours.
Burdon will share a KCMG Nissan GT-R GT3 with Edoardo Liberati and Philipp Wlazik to contest eleven races across the two championships including both of the marque 24 hours races.
“It really is a privilege for me to be able to add to my current Intercontinental GT Challenge programme with KCMG and NISMO, by representing them during the VLN series and Nurburgring 24 Hours this season. The Nordschleife is one of the most famous pieces of road in the world so I am very eager to get on track and begin work.” said Burdon.
The news of the Australian’s expanded international programme comes off the back of a strong showing at the Bathurst 12 Hour last weekend, in which Burdon set the fastest lap of the race (2:03.5382). The team was running third position midway through the race until they were forced to stop to resolve electrical issues, putting the car 11 laps behind the leaders.
Intercontinental GT Challenge Schedule:
- Round 1 – Bathurst 12 Hour, Mt Panorama, Australia – February 1-3
- Round 2 – California 8 Hour, Laguna Seca Raceway, USA – March 28-30
- Round 3 – Total 24 Hours of Spa, Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium – July 25-28
- Round 4 – Suzuka 10 Hours, Japan – August 23-25
- Round 5 – Kyalami 9 Hour, South Africa – November 21-23
VLN Endurance Championship Schedule:
- Test – March 16
- Race 1 – March 23
- Race 2 – April 13
- Race 3 – April 27
- Nurburgring 24 Hours Qualifying Race – May 19
- Nurburgring 24 Hours – June 22-23